What Every Student Should Know
A Lifetime of Health ~ Shine from the Inside Out
This is a help guide for all students practicingThe Original Hot Yoga, 20 & 2 at Bend Hot Yoga. We like to hear back from you with any feedback, questions or concerns.
This guide will help you to quickly experience results from your very first class at Bend Hot Yoga.
To Receive Maximum Benefit from Your Original Hot Yoga Practice it is suggested to attend class 3 to 5 times a week. When you do this you will feel a lot changes happen very quickly. Often times chronic pain disappears, stress dissolves and weight is shed. Many students find that through regular practice all their favorite activities are stronger. Skiers and snowboarders have better balance, bikers and runners have more stamina and climbers can reach higher.
The precise scientifically created sequence of 26 postures and 2 breathing exercises was designed to be practiced for 90 minutes in a heated (100-degrees-plus) room. This allows the body to stretch, detoxify, relieve stress, tone, and heal chronic pain such as arthritis, joint aches, knee injuries, back problems, and more.
Don’t expect your instructor to demonstrate the postures. In The Original Hot Yoga your teacher is trained to safely instruct you through the sequence as part of a moving meditation (listening to these directions forces practitioners to stop thinking and be in the moment). No matter where you practice in the world, the instructions between the teacher and the student stays pretty much the same.
Every true Original Hot Yoga studio has a soft carpet, which is more forgiving to joints than hardwood floors. Bend Hot Yoga has an anti-bacterial carpet that gets cleaned regularly. Sweat is sterile!
1. Listen with care, (focus, focus, focus)
2. The room is hot! The heat accelerates the amazing benefits!
3. You will sweat a lot. Choose clothing you can sweat in (not cotton). Don’t be afraid to show some skin. There’s an unspoken rule of “no judgments” in every studio.
4. EVERYONE has had their first class, it’s normal if you feel nervous.
5. Set your mat up so the dark line in the carpet goes through the center and put your towel over the mat.
6. You may feel over heated. Sit down, breathe through your nose. This goes away. Your goal is to do what you need to do to stay in the room for the 90 minutes.
7. Normal to feel light headed or dizzy. Just remember all the toxins pouring out of your body.
8. Not one person in the room cares how you do the pose, how you look in a pose, or if you do the pose. The goal is not to master every pose but rather to listen to your body and take care of yourself.
9. Do what you can do. WHAT YOU CANNOT DO will come later! You are still reaping the same health benefits just by trying the right way.
10. Try not to eat at least two hours prior to class and hydrate all day, before and after class.
11. Don’t BE LATE! This golden rule is most important for everyone! Try to get to the studio at least 15 minutes early to give yourself plenty of time to sign up, meet your instructor and settle in.
12. Leave your hand towels at home. Let it rain on your face and body—it’s part of the practice! If you wipe it away, you disrupt homeostasis, the body’s natural, highly adaptive mechanism of self-regulation. Embrace the downpour!
13. A good attitude is key, especially since each person in the room is feeding off the collective energy of the group.
14. Please remove any essential oils or perfumes before class!
15. No Glass in the room and please no gum!